Tie Top curtains are small strips of fabric like ribbons, attached to the upper frame of the curtains. They are used to tie the curtain over a rod, holding the curtain in place. These tie-top curtains create an informal look and mostly use lightweight fabrics such as tissue, organza, net and silk. The best thing about a tie-top curtain is that it is easily available at very cheap rates, and add disproportionate beauty to their cost. In fact, you could even make some at home with just a little innovation. Let us see some of the things you have to consider to make good tie tops.
FabricThe fabric of the tie allows lots of experimentation. Fabrics like silk if used would bring in a touch of Indian ethnicity. A good option for a tie for a silk curtain is to use your unused silk saris with beautiful borders. The ribbons to be made need not necessarily be of the same color of the sari. For example, if a red sari with a golden border has been used, one would usually make red ribbons, but you could even make golden ribbons attached alternatively with red ones.
Size and Number
The tie-tops attached to the silk curtains can vary in their size. Broad ribbons can be used giving equal distances while attaching them to the curtains. When broad ribbons are used one has to make sure that they are not too many in number. If this is done, the curtain, when displayed, will give a rather shabby look. Also, when thin ribbons are used, their number should be kept in mind. Seven is a good number to do justice, and to fully bring out its beauty.
Experiment With Your Options
You can try something different from normal to really make your living room unique. Let us see some interesting possibilities for this.
- Beaded strands can be used instead of ribbons. Make sure that the strands are strong enough to hold the curtain. Another option for an embellished strand is that beads or sequins can be pasted or stitched along with the ribbon. In this case, the ribbon would take the weight of the curtain, and the beads over the ribbons would play a decorative role.
- In tie-top curtains it is difficult to get a formal look, but one can get them very easily by ironing the pleats for a stiff and a formal look. Before putting them on the curtains, the pleats have to be taken singly, and then ironed for a stiff pleated look. If a steam iron is used the possibility of a more stiffened look is always high. Try 'smocking' the pleats for a different look. Tiny embellishments like crystal beads or sequins, pasted or stitched over the smocked stitches, create a more decorative look.
- Valances can be attached to these silk sari curtains. Valances can be made with the same fabric or any other contrast like some netted fabric with some embellishments or laces. These valances would actually create a detailing over the curtain, making it a more interesting piece for the onlooker. Take care here - the valances should not be very heavy in Tie-top curtains. They are best attached to the main frame of the curtain to which the ribbons are also attached. If netted fabrics are used as a contrast, make sure that they blend with the main shade of the curtain.
- You can attach some interesting embellishments, sequins and tassels to create a more ethnic look. If plain silk saris are being used, you can paste some mirrors and cover up its edges with some Fabric 3D colors to add glam to the curtain.
Innovative Uses For Your Tie Tops
Tie tops need not be limited to curtains alone. Try the tips below for out of the ordinary possibilities to make heads turn.
- Use the Tie-tops as headboards over a master bed. They can be innovatively used over the wall behind the master bed to create a different look. Also, a painting can be put up on the wall, so that when the curtains are tied back, the wall would not look empty and would compliment the painting.
- Use the tie tops with canopies for the master bed instead of mosquito nets flowing over the sides of the bed. The fabric for the tie-top curtains to be used with canopies should be light. Sheer ones like nets, laces, muslins, tissues or organza are best. Always keep in mind that the curtains when used for the bed with canopies should be light and soft so that natural light passes by. Moreover, such fabrics create an air of romance, so you would have a positive spin-off of your experiment straightaway!
- Using tie tops can be a wonderful experience to let your creativity flow in decorating your home. If you do not want to take the trouble of having to make the tie tops, you can use the services of specialist online stores to make your purchases at very reasonable rates. The store has so much variety that you would not be found wanting for a lack of choice.
Go ahead and enjoy the new look of your home!